Routledge Handbook of Banking and Finance in Asia
Part I provides a country-by-country overview of banking and finance in East, Southeast, and South Asia, including examples from the People’s Republic of China; India; Japan; and Singapore.
Part II contains thematic chapters, covering topics such as commercial banking, development banking, infrastructure finance, stock markets, insurance, and sovereign wealth funds. It also includes examinations of banking regulation and supervision, and analyses of macroprudential regulation, capital flow management measures, and monetary policy. Finally, it provides new insights into topical issues such as SME, green, and Islamic finance.
This handbook is an essential resource for scholars and students of Asian economics and finance and for professionals working in financial markets in Asia.
This publication has been copublished with Routledge. For orders, please contact Routledge.
- 1. Introduction: Characteristics of Asian Financial Systems in Comparative Perspective by Peter J. Morgan, Ulrich Volz, and Naoyuki Yoshino
- PART I Country Chapters
- 2. The Development and Transformation of the Financial System in the People’s Republic of China by Damian Tobin and Ulrich Volz
- 3. Financial Sector in Hong Kong, China by Andrew Sheng
- 4. Indian Financial Sector: Structure, Trends, and Turns by Rakesh Mohan and Partha Roy
- 5. Development and Shortcomings of Indonesia’s Financial Sector by Iwan J. Azis
- 6. Japan’s Financial System and Its Challenges by Naoyuki Yoshino, Shinichi Nakabayashi and Peter J. Morgan
- 7. Banking and Finance in the Republic of Korea by Kiseok Hong and Jong-Wha Lee
- 8. Financial System in Malaysia by Sukudhew Singh
- 9. The Philippine Financial System: Developments, Challenges, and Opportunities by Nestor Aldave Espenilla Jr.
- 10. Financial Sector in Singapore by Hwee Kwan Chow and Sai Fan Pei
- 11. Banking and Finance in Thailand by Yothin Jinjarak and Ulrich Volz
- 12. The Financial Economy of Viet Nam in an Age of Reform, 1986–2016 by Quan Hoang Vuong
- PART II Thematic Chapters
- 13. Commercial Banking in Asia by Ilhyock Shim
- 14. Development Banks in Asia: Magic Bullets that Invariably Disappoint by Vikram Nehru
- 15. Developing Local Currency Bond Markets in Asia by Cyn-Young Park
- 16. Asian Stock Markets by Jonathan A. Batten, Igor Loncarski, and Peter G. Szilágyi
- 17. Institutional Investors and Sovereign Wealth Funds in Asia by Choong Lyol Lee
- 18. Insurance Markets in Asia by W. Jean Kwon
- 19. Infrastructure Finance of Asia by Shubhomoy Ray
- 20. Financial Inclusion in Asia by Peter J. Morgan
- 21. Remedies for Mitigating Asian SMEs’ Access-to-Finance Difficulties by Naoyuki Yoshino and Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary
- 22. Monetary Policy and Central Banking in Asia by Takatoshi Ito
- 23. Macroprudential Regulation and Capital Flow Management Measures in Asia by Pornpinun Chantapacdepong
- 24. Capital Flows and Exchange Rate Policies by Joshua Aizenman and Hiro Ito
- 25. Financial Integration in Asia by Hans Genberg
- 26. Banking Regulation and Supervision in Asia by Michael J. Zamorski
- 27. Fostering Green Finance for Sustainable Development in Asia by Ulrich Volz
- 28. An Overview of Islamic Banking and Finance in Asia by Akbar Komijani and Farhad Taghizadeh-Hesary