Subnational Finance for Infrastructure: Potential Roles and Opportunities for ADB
This paper discusses how governments can be more effective in using their relatively scarce resources to leverage more private sector financing become increasingly central to the provision of urban infrastructure.
This includes catalyzing the participation of domestic sources of finance, including capital markets, if sustainable systems of financing infrastructure are to be developed. The paper discusses the improvements in incentives and instruments, market structures and accountability by all participants, including governments, required to attract such funds and proposes areas for ADB financial and capacity building intervention to support infrastructure financing at the subnational level.
- Rationale for Interventions to Support Subnational Infrastructure Finance in DMCs
- Subnational Infrastructure Finance in DMCs
- Progress on Elements of Subnational Infrastructure Finance
- Assessing ADB's Comparative Advantage
- Proposed Roles and Opportunities for ADB
- Conclusion and Strategic Next Steps