Tales from the Coral Triangle: Philippines
These 10 winning entries from the "Our Seas" story writing contest for high school students in Palawan, Philippines employ fantasy, humor, and drama to highlight the importance of protecting the ocean.
The Coral Triangle is one the most diverse marine ecoregions on earth. Spanning the waters of the Western Pacific Ocean, this "Amazon of the Seas" boasts dazzling natural features, unique flora and fauna, and a rich tapestry of colorful cultures. It is home to:
- more than 600 or 37% of the world’s reef-building corals,
- over 2,000 coral reef fishes,
- six out of seven of the world’s marine turtles, and
- 27 marine mammals, including the largest living animal in the world, the blue whale.
Regrettably, poverty, unsustainable fishing practices, resource extraction, and environmental degradation are putting severe and growing pressure on the region’s natural resources. Collective efforts are needed in communities to stem the tide of environmental degradation, and provide sound guidance to new generations.
The stories in this book demonstrate the young authors’ keen awareness of the interconnection between people and the environment, and the vital role of conservation and environmental protection in ensuring the well-being of the human race.
Heroes of the Environment campaign
Recognizing a valuable opportunity to raise awareness on environmental issues including climate change, ADB and the Global Environment Facility (GEF) supported the “Heroes of the Environment” campaign in two project sites in Palawan province. The campaign, including the story-writing contest, was implemented in partnership with the Department of Education of the Philippines and selected national high schools.
- Tuking, the Mischievous Whale Shark - Acean Mae D. Abis
- Mangrove Friend - Noahbelle L. Academia
- The Changes In Elma’s Family - Elnah T. Basala
- The Haydara - Kathleen L. Conde
- Leo’s Incredible Experience - Roozie Quea Elkanah I. Idlana
- Kyle’s Smile - Jirene Samuelle C. Tabujara
- Pilang Pilandok and Ping - Munawara G. Salleh
- Dagayday Island - Isabella S. Marilag
- Christine’s Dreams - Essence A. Panolino
- Ende Finally Learns - Shaima I. Hunaini
- Some Protected Wildlife Found in the Coral Triangle
- Live Better: Ideas on How to Care for the Planet
- About the Authors
- About the Mentors