The Emerging Era of Digital Identities: Challenges and Opportunities for the G20
Publication | August 2022
- Digital identities have become popular worldwide given their potential to improve the efficiency, functionality, scalability, and coverage of government schemes and policies.
- A digital identity system must be situated within government to ensure inclusion, security, and sustainability.
- A robust accountability mechanism should be at the core of a digital identity system characterized by clearly designated roles and responsibilities for all parties involved, in tandem with a redressal mechanism to address logistical or systematic errors.
- Digital identity systems should be guarded with stringent cybersecurity and data privacy norms.
- Mandating digital identities for access to public services can lead to exclusion, especially in countries where internet penetration and digital literacy are relatively low.
- Mutual recognition of digital identities can enable cross-border economic integration and cooperation, though this needs to be supported by a robust and coordinated governance framework.