Toward an Environmentally Sustainable Future: Country Environmental Analysis of the People's Republic of China
Toward an Environmentally Sustainable Future presents the results of a 2-year effort to update environmental assessment in the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- US$39.00 (paperback)
'... it is a great resource for policy makers and researchers who desire to grasp the current state of the People's Republic of China's environmental progress.'
- Manish Bapna, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, World Resources Institute
Toward an Environmentally Sustainable Future presents the results of a 2-year effort to update environmental assessment in the People's Republic of China (PRC). The research was a collaborative effort involving the Asian Development Bank (ADB), the Ministry of Environmental Protection, the National Development and Reform Commission, and numerous other technical and research institutions in the PRC. Based on this research and extensive consultations, ADB proposes a wide range of programs and policies that will help improve environmental quality despite new and emerging sources of pollution and challenges to natural resources management.
Inclusive growth and a green economy are the government's guiding principles for its development agenda under the 12th Five-Year Plan and beyond to 2020. To support these principles, the PRC needs to restructure its economic and fiscal systems to reflect environmental externality, expand the use of market-based instruments to control pollution, and introduce and implement legal reforms to clarify responsibility and promote cooperation. Written for a broad audience, this publication will be of interest to all those concerned about environmental quality in Asia.
- Executive Summary
- The Environment and Development Framework
- Natural Resources Management
- Water and Air Pollution and Solid Waste Management
- The Climate Change Agenda
- Policy, Institutional, and Fiscal Frameworks for Environmental Protection
- Strategic Framework for Environmental Protection
- Implications for the Country Partnership Strategy
- The Cost of Pollution in People's Republic of China
- "Green" Tax and Fiscal Reform Needed for Green Growth in People's Republic of China - ADB Report
- People's Republic of China: Saving the Sanjiang Wetlands
- People's Republic of China: From Waste to Clean Energy
- Methane: from Pollution to Solution
- Toward an Environmentally Sustainable Future: Country Environmental Analysis of the People's Republic of China