Transport Efficiency through Logistics Development: Policy Study
Over the last 30 years, the Government of the People's Republic of China (PRC) has rapidly constructed transport and logistics infrastructure, which has successfully contributed to the country's rapid economic growth.
However, to enable the country's transformation from an investment-led to an innovation- and consumption-driven economy, its logistics system needs to be further improved.
This study, which was produced through a technical assistance project for the Transport Efficiency through Logistics Development Policy Study developed through close collaboration between the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of the PRC, makes various policy recommendations including the following:
- to develop effective institutional mechanisms for integrated infrastructure development;
- to accelerate development of inland waterways, the rail container transport system, multimodal transport hubs, and logistics centers to achieve an interconnected network;
- to improve the policy direction and regulatory framework, and strengthen government's strategic role in transport and logistics investment; and
- to promote the use of information and communications technology in logistics.
These will allow the PRC to achieve dramatic improvements in its transport efficiency and create a modern logistics system that can keep pace with its continuing rapid development.
- Logistics Concepts and Responsibilities
- Demand Analysis
- Supply Analysis
- Performance Metrics
- Analysis of Challenges for the Transport and Logistics Industry
- Policy Proposals