Ways to Achieve Green Asia
Escalating environmental degradation and the risk of climate change are attracting growing attention from both policy makers and the public.
For Asian countries, decades of remarkable economic growth have had mixed results in terms of environmental implications.
This book provides a comprehensive analysis of the environment and climate change in Asia. It first gives an overview of the environmental challenges facing the region and summarizes the economic impacts of climate change. It also offers in-depth discussions of environmental regulations, environmental governance, environmental evaluation, and the growth of carbon markets in Asia. The volume finally explores the relationship between globalization and the environment, particularly through informative case studies on the People’s Republic of China and India. In this vein, this book advances policy recommendations for more effective environmental and climate change governance in the region.
- Introduction by Bihong Huang and Eden Yu
- PART I: Overview of the Environment and Climate Change in Asia
- 1. Environmental Challenges in Asia: Overview, Drivers, and Policy Implications by Bihong Huang and Yining Xu
- 2. The Economic Impacts of Climate Change: Implications for Asian Economies by Maximilian Auffhammer
- PART II: Environmental Regulations and Evaluation in Asia
- 3. Environmental Regulation: Lessons for Developing Economies in Asia by Jinhua Zhao
- 4. Environmental Governance and Environmental Performance by Chun-Ping Chang, Minyi Dong, and Jiliang Liu
- 5. The Growth of Carbon Markets in Asia: The Potential Challenges for Future Development by Yukun Shi, Sudharshan Reddy Paramati, and Xiaohang Ren
- 6. Valuing the Environment by Euston Quah and Tsiat Siong Tan
- PART III: Globalization and the Environment
- 7. Trade and the Environment: Recent Evidence and Policy Implications by Brian R. Copeland
- 8. International Outsourcing, Environmental Costs, and Welfare by Jai-Young Choi and Eden S. H. Yu
- 9. Does Trade Openness Change the Environmental Kuznets Curve? Evidence from the People’s Republic of China by Zheng Fang, Bihong Huang, and Zhuoxiang Yang
- 10. Globalization and the Environment in India by Sugata Marjit and Eden Yu
- 11. Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Pollution Abatement by Shruti Sharma