The project aims to promote regional development through improved environmental and land management, and infrastructure, through the active involvement of women.
The project seeks to promote regional development on selected islands in the Central Region. The National Development Plan highlights regional development as key to easing the development pressure on Malé (capital city) as well as solving equity problems between islands for accessing social services. The 2004 tsunami put additional pressure on island resources, destroying existing infrastructure and land resources and affecting the quality of potable water.
The project objective is to improve environmental and land management through a community-centered approach. The project includes a balance of institutional, infrastructure, and environmental improvements on the focus islands and their region. The project will help safeguard public health and the environment, support community and private sector participation in waste management and sanitation, and increase public awareness of responsible environmental management practices.
Development Aims and Impacts:
- The project aims to promote regional development through improved environmental and land management, and infrastructure;
- Women will be actively involved and trained in environmental awareness as tasks related to environmental management are divided between male and female household members;
- Extra support for women may be required to translate benefits from environmental infrastructure into broader development gains as anticipated from this project.
- Gender action plan (GAP) incorporated in project design and elaborated during implementation by a dedicated consultant (community development, gender and social development specialist);
- Commitment to gender incorporation from the implementing nongovernment organization (NGO) and other partners (e.g., Environmental Protection Agency) associated with community mobilization and awareness-raising activities.
This case study is part of the ADB publication Gender Equality Results Case Studies: Maldives that provide an overview of gender issues in selected sectors of developing member countries.