High-Level Technology Fund
What is the fund?
The High-Level Technology Fund (HLT Fund) is a multi-donor trust fund established in April 2017. It provides grant financing to promote the integration of HLT and innovative solutions into ADB-financed and administered sovereign and nonsovereign projects throughout the project cycle—from identification to implementation and operation. The fund encourages more widespread adoption of HLT to address development challenges in developing member countries.
What are the priorities?
Fund resources will be used for a broad range of innovative technologies and solutions that enable technological development and/or the scaling up of the technology deployment in the recipient country.
What kind of activities are eligible for the fund?
The HLT and innovative solutions to be supported by the fund will have at least one of the following characteristics:
- improves efficiency, productivity, quality, functionality, and/or access to service delivery;
- addresses climate change mitigation, and adaptation, including resilience to disaster risks;
- introduces innovation in processes, methods, techniques, and the use of new improved equipment and materials in construction, operations, and maintenance;
- reduces environmental and social costs;
- reduces life cycle cost, increases durability, and improves long-term performance;
- enhances the scaling up of HLT and market opportunities for scale-up; and
- promotes synergies and increases scale and impact through cross-sector collaboration.
To ensure strategic resource allocation, eligibility for the fund will be based on a technology list updated annually. While all sectors are eligible, initially envisaged sectors include, but are not limited to, energy, transport, urban, and water sectors.
Who is eligible to receive the fund?
Projects from all ADB developing member countries are eligible for financing from the fund.
Who supports the fund?
The Government of Japan is the first contributor to the fund.