Compliance Review Function
The compliance review focuses on the direct and material harm alleged by project-affected people, and whether this is caused by ADB’s violations of its operational policies and procedures in formulating, processing, or implementing the project. The compliance review is done by an independent Compliance Review Panel (CRP).
The compliance review starts with the Compliance Review Panel determining the eligibility of a request for compliance review and recommending to the ADB Board of Directors to authorize a compliance review. If authorized by the Board, the Compliance Review Panel conducts an independent investigation and makes recommendations to the Board of Directors to ensure project compliance, including remedial changes in the scope or implementation of the project. The Compliance Review Panel then monitors the implementation of its recommendations and any remedial actions approved by the Board of Directors.
Compliance Review Panel (CRP)
The Compliance Review Panel is an independent body appointed by the ADB’s Board of Directors to carry out compliance review under the second phase of the ADB Accountability Mechanism. The Compliance Review Panel consists of three members—a full-time Chair and two part-time members. Two Compliance Review Panel members are from regional member countries, with one of them from a developing member country, and the third member from a nonregional country. The Compliance Review Panel reports directly to the Board through the Board Compliance Review Committee (BCRC).
The Compliance Review Panel consists of three members—a full-time Chair and two part-time members. Two Compliance Review Panel members are from regional countries, with one of them from a developing member country, and the third member from a nonregional country.
The Compliance Review Panel is supported the Office of the Compliance Review Panel (OCRP).
The Compliance Review Panel undertakes the following activities:
- determining the eligibility of a request for compliance review
- engaging all project stakeholders in understanding the issues during compliance review
- conducting thorough and objective reviews of policy and procedural compliance
- consulting with project stakeholders, including the Board representative of the concerned country, on its preliminary findings and recommendations during compliance review
- coordinating with the compliance review mechanism of other cofinancing institution conducting a separate compliance review of the same project
- issuing draft reports and seeking comments from the complainants, the borrower, the BCRC, Management, and the operations department concerned on its findings and recommendations on compliance review
- issuing final reports to the Board on its findings
- informing the complainants of the Board’s decision on compliance review
- monitoring the implementation of the Board’s decisions on compliance review and providing the complainants with copies of the monitoring reports
- issuing annual reports outlining lessons learned from past compliance review cases
- developing a roster of independent technical experts for carrying out is work
- liaising with the accountability mechanisms at other institutions