ADB Office of Professional Conduct
The Office of Professional Conduct (OPC) was established in ADB in September 2019 to support an enabling environment for a positive, professional work environment, at Headquarters and its field offices, in accordance with the ADB’s Code of Conduct. OPC is located in headquarters in Manila and is headed by a Director who assumed office in May 2020.
Since its establishment in 1966, ADB has been committed to a culture of integrity, responsibility, accountability and mutual respect. ADB has also reinforced such commitment in its Strategy 2030 to support diversity in the workforce, including promoting gender balance, and a respectful work environment.
For the diverse workforce of ADB, integrity, ethical behavior, respect and adherence to ADB's staff values are critical to the success of ADB’s corporate goals. OPC reinforces and promotes a clear understanding among Management and staff of the Code of Conduct and related rules and policies. It also contributes to enabling a culture of ethics and respectful behavior, transparency and accountability and to the timely and constructive resolution of workplace concerns and grievances. Thus, OPC plays a pivotal role in shaping and maintaining a culture of ethics and respect alongside with other internal stakeholders in ADB.
Mission and functions
The overall role of OPC is to support an enabling environment for a positive and professional workplace of dignity and mutual respect, regardless of hierarchical role or rank, both at headquarters and in field offices.
To achieve its mission, and to ensure that staff members and other personnel observe and perform their duties with the highest ethical standards, OPC:
- provides advice and guidance to staff and management on matters of ethics and conduct in the workplace;
- develops and delivers awareness-raising and training relating to professional conduct;
- assists with the resolution of workplace concerns and grievances;
- manages the ongoing development, review and implementation of the Annual Declaration of Compliance, and
- supports and guides internal stakeholders in the development or review of policies and procedures to ensure that these engender the organization’s core ethical and staff values.
OPC acts independently of any official, department, office or other organizational units of ADB. OPC Director reports to the President of ADB who has delegated the day-to-day oversight to the Vice-President for Administration and Corporate Management (VPAC). The scope of the functions of OPC is limited to staff members and other personnel and does not extend to all Board Directors, Alternate Directors, and to the President who are covered by a separate framework.
ADB’s Code of Conduct
ADB's Code of Conduct provides its staff with guidance on adhering at all times to the highest standards of integrity, ethics and respect. It also supports the right of Staff to work in an environment free from inappropriate behavior, misconduct, harassment, and bullying.
The Code of Conduct applies to the following:
- All ADB staff
- Anyone who has signed a letter of appointment or other agreement to join ADB
- Former ADB staff
- Anyone whose letter of appointment, contract, renewal or other agreement requires that they comply with the Code of Conduct or any part of it.
OPC receives, manages and tracks inquiries and referrals from persons covered by the ADB’s Code of Conduct via various internal channels of communication. External parties are also invited to contact OPC in relation to any breach of the ADB’s Code of Conduct by an ADB staff member or persons referred above directly to OPC by emailing: [email protected] or phone +63 (2) 8632 4080.