ADB Office of Professional Conduct
The Office of Professional Conduct (OPC) was established at the Asian Development Bank (ADB) in September 2019 to support an enabling environment for a positive, professional work environment, at Headquarters and its field offices, in accordance with the ADB’s Code of Conduct. OPC is located in headquarters in Manila and is headed by a Director who assumed office in May 2020.
Since its establishment in 1966, ADB has been committed to a culture of integrity, responsibility, accountability and mutual respect. ADB has also reinforced such commitment in its Strategy 2030 to support diversity in the workforce, including promoting gender balance, and a respectful work environment.
For the diverse workforce of ADB, integrity, professional conduct, and adherence to ADB's values are critical to the success of ADB’s mission and goals. OPC reinforces and promotes a clear understanding among Staff and Management of the Code of Conduct and related rules and policies. It also contributes to the timely and constructive resolution of workplace concerns and grievances. Thus, OPC plays a pivotal role in shaping and maintaining a culture of professional conduct, alongside with other internal stakeholders in ADB.
Mission and functions
The overall role of OPC is to support an enabling environment for a positive and professional workplace of dignity and mutual respect, regardless of hierarchical role or rank, both at headquarters and in field offices.
To achieve its mission, and to ensure that staff members and other personnel observe and perform their duties with the highest professional conduct standards, OPC:
- provides advice and guidance to Staff and management on the application of the Code of Conduct;
- contributes to the resolution of workplace concerns and grievances;
- manages the ongoing development, review and implementation of the Annual Declaration of Compliance;
- develops and delivers awareness-raising and training relating to professional conduct;
- supports and guides internal stakeholders in the development or review of policies and procedures to ensure that these engender the organization’s professional conduct standards and values.
OPC provides its services to ADB and, since March 2021, to the Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI).
OPC acts independently of any official, department, office or other organizational units of ADB or ADBI. OPC Director reports to the President of ADB who has delegated the day-to-day oversight to the Managing Director General. The scope of OPC’s mandate is limited to staff members and other personnel covered by the Code of Conduct, and does not extend to all Board Directors, Alternate Directors, and to the President who are covered by a separate Code of Conduct.
ADB’s Code of Conduct
ADB's Code of Conduct provides its staff with guidance on adhering at all times to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct. It also supports the right of Staff to work in an environment free from inappropriate behavior, misconduct, harassment, and bullying.
The Code of Conduct applies to the following:
- All ADB staff
- Anyone who has signed a letter of appointment or other agreement to join ADB
- Former ADB staff
- Anyone whose letter of appointment, contract, renewal or other agreement requires that they comply with the Code of Conduct or any part of it.
OPC receives, manages and tracks inquiries and referrals by emailing: [email protected] or phone +63 -286-324-088.